Planning Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why do I have to have a permit for my own property?
A. Oregon law requires you to obtain permits - even if you are building on your own property - to ensure that minimum building standards are met for your own safety and for the safety of future property owners and/or occupants.

Q. My request has been approved, now what do I do?
A. If you have been issued a final report for your land use request, you will be required to complete the Conditions of Approval as listed in our final report prior to the Baker County Planning Department issuing Zoning Clearance. At the time you are ready to apply for a building permit, you will need to bring a site plan, Zoning Clearance Application and the required fee to the Baker County Planning Department. Planning staff will verify all required conditions have been met, and then can complete the form stating that you are cleared to apply for your building permit through the Baker City Building Department.

Q. What steps, in addition to a land use approval, are typically needed to build a dwelling?
A. Depending on your zone and type of approval, specific requirements will apply -see your Conditions of Approval. All dwellings in the County will need to complete the following:
Septic Approval
Road Approach Permit
Building Permit
Driveway/private road inspection and approval


Baker County Planning
1995 Third St Suite 131
Baker City, OR 97814
Phone: (541) 541-523-8219
Fax: (541) 541-523-5925
General E-mail: planning@bakercounty.org